Friday, June 10, 2011

so...... I did it!





My very first ever hexagon flower.  I did not use a 1" hexagon template.  I used a 1½" hexagon template.  Folded the fabric over the paper template and basted in place.  Then I stitched the 'petals' to the center.  Not too hard, but there are a couple 'spots' that the thread shows through to the front.  I will have to work on that!


Then I tried a different way.  I cut freezer paper templates and used the edge of that as my stitching line.  Just did a running stitch and this is what I got.

I found it easier to use the basting to the paper template method.  I will finish the above 'flower' and see how it all aligns. 
Will I make a bunch of these hexagon flowers??? Probably not.  I'm thinking of pressing the one I finished and removing the paper and appliqueing it to a solid color square of fabric.  Guess I'll have to play a bit more :-)

Wishing everyone a great weekend.
Katie

2 comments:

Sparky said...

MMM guess what sweetie.you won the hexagons templates from Stash Manicure..please send me your addy......don't give up just yet..you will get it wink.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I always have better luck with the paper templates, too. Once you get the hang of it - it can be very relaxing. And it makes a great "portable" project - you can take it anywhere. Have fun with your winnings from Stash Manicure - I want to see what you make!