Monday, June 13, 2011

Antique Baby Quilt

This baby quilt has been in my family for almost 60 years.  It was made by a lady that we grew up knowing as "Grandma Corey" and was a gift for my mom's first baby, my brother.  Mom used it for all three of her kids and as you can tell, it truly was well used!  The colors are really faded as mom bleached everything that had to do with a baby.  I have managed to get possession of this quilt from my sister with the promise to try to replicate it.  I know I will never find the exact fabrics, but I am going to try and find as close as possible.

Here are some pictures of the individual blocks:

 These greens shouldn't be too hard - the trouble I'm seeing is finding the white polka dots on color.  Most of what I see is color polka dots on white.

The colors in this block are so faded it's hard to see that they are, for the most part, florals.


Look at that double circle fabric - how cute is that.

 I have found some nice cotton gingham, but it's a lighter blue.  I have some smaller blue floral calico that I think might work for the small floral on this one.
Replicating this quilt - well finding the right fabrics - will be a challenge, but I think it will be very gratifying when it's done.  I plan to make 3 quilts - one for each one of my mom's kids!  And - I'd better practice my hand blanket stitch!









Katie

No comments: