Monday, May 2, 2011

Just because.....

Guess I better post something - just because...... Had a very busy week last week so not much time spent in the sewing room.  I have managed to get a couple quilts quilted and that's about it.  I was in a thrift store on Sat. and ended up purchasing a used Viking machine with the intention of giving it to my 16 yr old GD.  It's a 1980 electronic machine with plug in cassettes for decorative stitches.  Only a couple problems - the reverse sewing doesn't work - therefore many of the decorative stitches don't stitch out right and the biggie -  the stitch length regulator doesn't work.  I'd guess it's probably sewing 20 stitches to the inch.  So, all in all, the machine is usable and I don't feel like I wasted my money but will give my GD the choice of whether she wants it or not.  With that  tight a stitching, she may pay real close attention to her sewing - I know I wouldn't want to rip out something that tight :-)  DH mentioned taking it into a Viking dealer to have it serviced, but I know the Viking dealer will charge $79 for a basic maintenance and frankly, I could buy a new machine for just a bit more than that and have a warranty, so maybe GD can use this for awhile and then have a better idea of what she would really like in a machine.
Okay, hope everyone is being more productive and creative than I am :-)

til next time,

Katie

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

None of my business - but I have to comment anyway - sorry. I would worry that your granddaughter would get frustrated with the sewing machine tension and no reverse issues. These days - if it isn't "easy" - some kids just don't want to do it at all. I would want to make the experience as pleasant and fun as possible - and futzing with a messed up machine is not my idea of fun. Just my two cents - one grandma to another.

Katie M. said...

Kitty, I'd thought of that also and I do appreciate your response - they are always welcomed!
Katie