the dreaded scraps are to blame for this mess! I made the decision to pull my scrap bin(s) because I needed to cut some 4½” squares of scraps. I’d made the decision to border my big dresden plates with scraps of squares. The Dresden plates will be in the center and I will built out to size from there using the squares – as well as using the squares as a ‘sashing’. Here’s a start of my squares! But of course, as I go along, I find more:
Anyway, I turned those little pieces into this little mat that I’m not sure what I’ll do with :
I added to or assembled. The green/blue was 4 - hour glass squares and will end up as a hot mat. The brown and white squares had the triangles added to them and trimmed down and will become mats of some sort. The black and yellow were 4 pieces that I put together and those will become coasters. I had several orphan blocks that I will make into mats to be used somehow. I plan on putting a backing on the frame, laying scrap pieces of batting and just lay out these smaller items and I’ll just do a mass quilting of it all at one time. I have some Insulbright batting that I will add as an extra layer under the items that I figure might be used in the kitchen.
I’ve also started up on some knitting. I want to learn lace style knitting and it’s not difficult, but I found one really needs to pay attention. Here’s a picture of fingerless mitts and a headband/ears warmer I made. The headband still needs it’s buttons attached:
I’ve also got a Sew Fest quilt on the frame to get to and I think I can fit one more in the box to send off so will get to that before I start a quilting marathon (I have quite a stack to be quilted!)
And is the sewing room put back in order? Well - sort of. I did manage to go through all my scraps and I have 4 gallon baggies full of strips that measure 1½ – 2” that I will use in my strip blocks. Once I have all the strip blocks I want done – I will dispose of what’s left. I have a box of odd scraps that are short but at least 2” that I will use for my pineapple blocks. And again, when I’ve assembled all the blocks I want for that, those scraps will be gone. I also got a shoe box full of 2½” strips that I have no idea what I’ll do with, but if nothing else they can be put into a scrappy binding – like I need that when you look at this:
And I did manage to clear off the cutting table somewhat. I disposed of the old computer that was taking up floor space and connected the new printer that was also taking up floor space. I was on a roll when hubby asked for some help and I have yet to get back to finishing up the ‘clean up’ (maybe today….)
So that’s what I’ve been doing – getting a little done here and there …