Saturday, July 16, 2011

Scrappy Saturday

I will call this "Angel of the Stars".  I did this applique piece at least 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer) .  The little Star Blocks were actually made from scraps and put into a row that reflected four seasons.  The picture doesn't show but the stars are L to R top row - autumn leaves, blue snowflake, spring floral and summer dragonflies.  The border is very multicolored with stars.  The star blocks are only 4" blocks and this quilt is really small, about 22 X 30.   I decided to utilize all the parts to make something...... I knew I wouldn't be using that row for anything, so took it apart to use what I wanted from it.

This is a trivit / hot pad made from half square triangles that were cut down from left overs from doing flying geese units.  Again, I've had them in a baggie for awhile.  And the center square is another 4" block that I was 'playing' with and decided to use somewhere.  I put it all together using Insulbright batting and then just cross hatched quilted it.  I even used an orphan block on the back - but after cross hatching, it's sort of ugly - so no picture :-)

I need to make some more trivit / hot pads and I'm thinking I might as well use up some of those orphan blocks I have.... They sure add some color to the kitchen :-)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend..... I'll have some cute sewing pictures coming up later.  Today was a 5 and 7 year old in the sewing room with grandma - what fun!

Katie


1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a great idea to use orphan blocks as trivits! Duh! But I wanna see the back of the "ugly" one - pleeeeeese! I like "ugly" - they're cute! But then - they're probably not nearly as cute as a 5 and 7 year old in the sewing room with Grandma!
^..^