Wednesday, January 8, 2014

#1

That’s as in number 1 not hash tag 1 – and no I don’t do Twitter!  But you hear about those Tweets and Hash tags…. so I’m just clarifying.  This is my first as in number 1 post of 2014.  And I’ve actually got something accomplished to share!!!

My granddaughter, Tiffani, will turn 4 the end of January and she’s getting her ‘big girl’ quilt:

IMG_0001IMG_0002The fabrics look quite a bit lighter than what they actually are.. but they are pastels.  The print fabric is Fairy Princesses but Tiffani wanted florals for her embroidery.  We sort of planned this quilt together as far back as August.  When I talked about making it, she said, “Gramma, I will help you with that!”  So she got to pick designs Smile

About a week before Christmas I was in my favorite thrift/estate store and Kevin (the owner) said, “Hey, I’ve got something for you.”  He proceeded to fill 8 of the large lawn & leaf bags with sewing patterns, some fabric and notions.  One bag was full of shoulder pads!  He told me he figured I’d use it and it wasn’t going to sell anyway… There must be 200 patterns!  Stretch n Sew, Vogue, some I’ve never heard of.  Most, I’m guessing, are from the 80’s / 90’s.  Most are uncut!  Here’s a sampling:

IMG_0003IMG_0004IMG_0005IMG_0006

I’m using the chair in this picture to give an idea of the size of the box.  The box is a medium sized packing box:

IMG_0007IMG_0008I’m not sure what I’ll do with all these patterns.  As I went through them originally, I pulled a couple out that I think I might use.  Some of the more common brands patterns are smaller sizes and I’m not a small person!  But I know what I can’t use will not be thrown into the trash.  I’ll take them to few different thrift stores – sort of share the wealth…

On the quilting front, I’ve been asked to repair a simple patchwork quilt for a friend.  The top was simply appliqued to an old polyester bedspread.  She asked me to put a new back on it and I’ve decided to add a batting and backing and bind it as well.  The fabrics used are a variety from old sheets to polyester pants.  A mix of flannel and wool also.  Simple squares, but means a lot to my friend’s guy friend as his mother made it many years ago.  So it will be nice to give it a little life extension…

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm in this crazy winter weather that the eastern states are experiencing. 

Katie

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Cute quilt and lovely that your grand daughter was able to help choose the designs.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Haha - I thought it was the "pound sign" until I realized that if it were, it would be AFTER the number - ;)) And my bank calls it that too - when I call them - they ask me to enter my account number - "followed by the pound sign" - ;))

Tiffani's quilt is adorable - she is sure to LOVE it!! - ;))

What a great haul you made in the pattern department!! - Maybe you could sell some on Ebay or Etsy or from your blog - just a thought - some of your readers might want to buy or trade - ;))