Oh my, I did not realize it’s been so long since I posted. I actually have gotten a few things accomplished. In my post before Easter I posted here about the black & white log cabin blocks:
When I get involved in swaps like this, I try to use fabrics from my stash. I was / am sorely lacking in black on white or white on black fabrics. For this block she had requested black on white and black background, so I used some scraps that had a bit of color but ‘read’ black. This was to be a row swap, but some of the ladies requested that their blocks not be sewn into rows – I don’t think some of them understand the opportunity to be creative with a row….. Anyway, here is the row:
I’ve also been working on a Scrapbook for the Quilters for Comfort Sew Fest. We used to have a banner with the names of everyone who attended. Each year we added another segment. Well the banner got to looking a little
sloppy, choppy and I discussed with my co-founder the idea of a scrapbook. So the decision was made to take pictures of the previous years and scrapbook them:
Here’s just a sample of what I’ve started…. This was the first year of Sew Fest (2008). I still have 2008 to finish. Then I have 2009 and 2010. Cathy B. will do 2011 and 2012. I enjoyed revisiting these memories as I went through, literally, hundreds of pictures.
I’ve also been sewing a lot of Flying Geese units. I’ve designed a Mystery quilt for Sew Fest and have written all the clues. I have never done anything like this before and not sure I’ll do it again… I have not premade the quilt – I used EQ to design it…. But the first 3 clues have all involved flying geese – I’m getting pretty good at them
This quilt top has actually been quilted and is awaiting it’s binding and label. The embroidered blocks and pieced blocks were sent to me. I chose the “X” layout for the embroidered squares which made me short on the pieced squares. I pulled the fabric from my stash for the solid squares and it worked because of the color tones blending well with the prints from the other blocks. I did not want to leave this a square quilt and decided on the sawtooth borders top and bottom. Then to split the body of the quilt from the border. Instead of trying to match the purples, I just went with a really dark purple for the narrow inner border. The outer border I would have preferred to be a brighter yellow, but when one lives 50 miles from the nearest fabric store, one tends to make due with what’s available…….
Well, as usual, when it’s been a while since I’ve posted – I make up for it in one, lengthy post. If you’ve lasted this long, I thank you for taking the time to read and would like to say “I’ll be better about posting on a more regular basis” but it probably wouldn’t happen……
Until next time,