Saturday, September 15, 2012

I know, I know…..

I’m a terrible blogger.  I know a blog is supposed to be about things the blogger wants to write about.  Well if I just wanted to put down my thoughts / words I could do that in a journal on my computer.  I try to write / post something that I think might be interesting to others.  Maybe I’m just a boring person.  Actually, my friends and family make jokes about me never being quiet – what’s up with that?!  I can’t help it if I have opinions, ideas, comments even if they aren’t what someone wants to hear.  I had an employer tell someone one time, “you never have to worry about what she’s thinking, she’ll tell you.”  I worked for him for 22 years !

Okay, so believe it or not, I actually have a couple of pictures… I have to put a note here – those of you who are so good about taking pictures really impress me.  Hard to believe in years past my friends would hire me to take the pictures at their kids weddings with my old trusty 35mm….. Maybe it’s the digital thing – maybe I should invest in one of those expensive  digital camera – ummmm – probably not.  I still tote my the reliable 35mm Cannon EOS with me when I know I’m going to be taking landscapes, scenery or capture the loves of my l life – my family.

OH yeah, sorry, pictures:

IMG_1717This is a little quilt.  I have a friend who brought it to me for quilting.  It was given to her by someone else to be used in a raffle.  I have to say that I was not real impressed with this quilt.  I thought it was sort of drab.  My friend also brought me high loft poly batting to use with this – not my favorite batting to work with.   Hard to see in the little picture, but the bands between the rows are border prints of bunnies.  I could not think of any way to quilt them and really they were only about 2” wide, so I didn’t bother.  I decided the best way to quilt this was to simply try and make the ‘objects’ of the quilt stand out.  I don’t normally do dense background quilting, but I felt it was necessary for this quilt.  After quilting and binding – oh yeah (side tracking again), the outer borders of this quilt were less than 2”, so trying to quilt and add a binding…. I used binding that was a little lighter than the border, but I used what I had and it was okay…… So anyway….. after completing the quilt, I washed it and I think it ended up with a bit of an antique feel.  I know my friend and the maker were happy with the end result.  I hope they do well with their raffle.

IMG_1716This is a 6” paper pieced block.  There is a quilt block swap going on over at the Quilters for Comfort Yahoo group.  This was requested by Dottie. 

IMG_1713IMG_1714

These blocks will go Dannee.  I don’t remember the name of the pattern, but it is from Quilter’s Cache.  Each member who signed up for the swap was to chose their block design and the colors they wanted for their block.  This is always a nice way to use up some scrap fabric and try new things.  I know there are a lot of people who don’t care for swaps.  I have to admit that when I have time, I really like them.  When I first started quilting, I joined the quilting forum on About.com and entered quite a few swaps.  I learned a lot from those swaps.  Also, it forced me to really concentrate on doing my best.  I am so not a perfectionist when doing for myself, but when doing for others, I might actually be called “anal”….

I have also finished up a couple quilt tops.  I have two more sets of embroidered blocks that I need to assemble into a quilt and that will then leave me with 5 quilts to get quilted and sent to PA for donation to a boys home.  Then that will leave me with 3 quilts of my own to finish up.  Then….. (yes there’s more) I have agreed to make 4 small quilts and one larger quilt from a lady’s children’s clothes.  She has kept their clothes over the years and wants quilts for each kid from their own clothing and what’s left, put into a quilt for herself.  She would like these done by Christmas…. Sometimes I ask myself “why do I do this?”

Okay, so there you have it – that’s what I’ve been up to in the sewing room….

Katie

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You've been a busy little bee!! - ;)) Great stuff!! AND - you changed your font - bigger and bolder - MUCH easier for these old eyes of mine to read - THANK YOU!! - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

By the way - I don't think that you are boring at all!! I like hearing what you have been up to - it's like calling a friend just to chat - except without the phone - haha.

Photos - I used to use my trusty Polaroid and another little camera with actual FILM in it - until we went to Walmart to get the film developed and they had to send it to Kansas City and we had to wait TWO WEEKS to get it back. After that we went to Best Buy and we picked out a price range - then I tried out one camera after another - just fiddling - which one was intuitive - which one could I actually WORK without reading a 100 page manual - settled on a Samsung SL620. It wasn't cheap - but it has the features that I want/need and I think that it is VERY cool!

Speaking of cool - I REALLY like what you did with the "drab" quilt!! You're quilting on it is PERFECT!! - ;))

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post, I really look forward to updates from you.

~Deb Lindley said...

Yes indeed, you have been a busy little beaver - whew! And I agree, your quilting on the not-so 'drab' quilt is spot on, really marvelous job on that one, Congrats!

Have stopped by in awhile, guess I need to come by more often and see what you've been up to ;-)

Later,
~Deb