Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Today I will….

Finish up another quilt top.  Two more quilt tops to finish assembling and then I will have 8 stacked up to get quilted.  I really don’t know why I don’t just quilt them as I finish the tops, but I don’t.  Once I get at least four done, then I’ll think about quilting.  I had my four ready then got embroidered blocks from one of the ladies at QFC to assemble into a quilt.  Decided to get those tops done, then I got two more sets of embroidered blocks along with cute fabric from another lady from QFC.   So I will get those quilt tops made up and start a quilting marathon!

IMG_0028IMG_0029Aren’t these just the cutest cows.  I don’t know where the designs came from so I apologize for not being able to give credit to the digitizer.  I wanted this to be a happy quilt and therefore all the color!  I’ve had the dot fabric in my stash in quite awhile and I liked the way it played with the tie dyed fabric.

IMG_0035IMG_0036Another set of designs that I don’t know who the digitizer is.  I have to admit to not having a clue as how to set these blocks or what fabrics to use.  My left-handed friend (you know who you are Winking smile  ) had sent me some fabric collections from Collecting Threads a while back and I was able to use some of those in this quilt.  The red border seems to be screaming in these pictures, but it actually helped pull some of the red from the other fabrics.  I have been determined to use as much from my stash as I possibly can and thankfully, it’s working.  I see my stash starting to whittle down a bit!

IMG_0033IMG_0034This quilt was made by my granddaughter, Kari.   She had pulled the fabrics and made the 4-patch blocks.  It was my job to embroider the designs for her.  I’d started the filled designs and didn’t really care for them.  I was working on the RW set when she came to work on the quilt.  She decided that what I had was enough and she’d use what was there.   We were a little short of the orange border fabric but managed to make it work with the alternating of the skinny borders.  And again I have to apologize for not knowing who the digitizer is of the designs.  When I first started machine embroidery, I would rename files so it was easier to locate specific themes.  I did finally realize that I needed to start keeping the digitizer’s name intact even when renaming files….  

On Facebook, someone issued a “pay it forward” challenge.  The first 5 people who commented on her post would received something hand made from her if they in turn put the same post on their ‘wall’.  The lady I commented to is a terrific artist (and also my son’s MIL) and there was no way I was going to pass up the possibility of something created by her.  We have until the end of 2013 to “pay it forward”.  This is what I’ve done so far:

IMG_0019A mug rug for my neighbor who loves anything Shabby Chic, pink and coffee.

IMG_0020An e-reader pouch for my granddaughter, Kaitlin.  I had made her a wallet using this fabric and she wanted something to slip her e-reader in made with the same fabric.

So there you have it for now.  Have a great day and please stay warm.  It seems to be cold all over the country!

Katie

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW! Great stuff, Katie! The top one just sparkles - and I love the blue, yellow, and orange in Kari's quilt - very happy colors. The mug rug and pouch are also really cute. I'm glad you were able to use some of the stuff that I sent you - and yes, I do know who I am - ;))

Deb Lindley said...

WOW Miss Katie - now I know what you've been up to...you've been BUSY, girl!

Looks like you drug out your camera and took some neat photos - I LOVE the RED border, there's just NEVER enough RED in this world, more is better, when it comes to RED, imho ;-).

ALL your quilts look great - I can hardly wait to see what you'll come up with next!
~Deb