Friday, September 16, 2016

Not often

It's not often that I will 'quilt for profit'.  I don't have the ability to use pantographs unless I move the handles from the front of my machine to the back, which is more trouble than it's worth (in my opinion).  I would never mark on another person's quilt in fear of the mark not coming out.  My stitch regulator hasn't worked on my machine in a whole lot of years and I gave up trying to get it (and keep it) fixed.  For my own purposes, freehand is good.  I do have some simple shape templates that my hubby cut out of plexiglass for me, but they aren't exact and perfect, and I'm not bothered by the fact that my personal timing isn't always in sync with the machine so the occasional long stitch doesn't bother me..  So that said... I had a lady approach me about quilting a quilt for her.  I had to let her know that I'm not a professional long arm quilter.  That I don't do fancy and my frame isn't set up to do king.  She told me she didn't want fancy and anything I did was fine.  She just wanted the quilt done.  Well, alrighty then, guess I can do this for her.  Then she brought me this beautiful quilt and it was wider than what I'm able to complete on my frame.  But... I could get the body of the quilt if she wanted to do just some straight stitching in her outer border.  She was okay with that.  So as intimidated as I was by this beautiful quilt, I set out to do the best I could and overall, I'm happy with it.  If it had been my quilt, I would have probably turned it in sections and done a piano key stitch on the borders, but I've done that before on a large quilt of my own and sometimes it gets a little wonky.. The lady was happy with the results and then informed me I didn't charge enough - well, I guess if there's a next time, I will charge more (I don't have a problem with that!):


This lady designs all her own stuff.  These applique roses are one piece of fabric and all the detail she put in with satin stitching - I was very impressed with her work!
So, I've worked on this and worked on Sew Fest quilts.  I have 4 completed, 2 waiting for their binding and one more to quilt and finish - seeing the light :-)  Just in time to start work on some Christmas stuff!  Have some simple things I will be sewing up.  I will sew up a few pair of pajama pants and embroider some T's to match.  I would love to knit a couple of long shrugs / sleeved capes - but I know me, I would never get them finished in time ...  So maybe just some fingerless gloves...
Hope all is well with you...

Katie

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW! - Your freehand is pretty good, lady! I'm impressed! - ;))