Thursday, April 14, 2016

Almost a year ago...

It's been almost a year now since I was approached about helping 'someone' with getting the Senior's Center here in our small town to making quilts for "humanitarian efforts".  I was asked to be available to help these "senior" ladies when this "someone" wasn't able to be there.  Long story short - this "someone" has NEVER been to any of the meetings!  Ever happen to you - you're asked to HELP only to discover you're IT?  I love these ladies and I love to quilt so it was a good thing.  
A couple years ago a lady from the QFC (Quilters for Comfort) group donated over 100 quilt tops to be finished for charities.  Due to some health issues she was no longer able to work at a sewing machine.  A few of the members from QFC has worked on these quilt tops and they've been donated but I still had a few and decided to take them to the Senior's Center for their use.  These tops were simple square or brick scrappy patchwork and the request was that the Senior's tie the quilts.  It's taken a year but the quilt tops I donated have been tied and they are wanting to make 50 more.  Problem is - these ladies are not quilters and many are not even sewists.  Bring on the usage of a rotary cutter and mat - never mind I won't go there....
So my solution - I'm going to start cutting up my scraps into simple squares and 'kit' up for the ladies to make simple patchwork quilt tops.  I have a love / hate relationship with my scraps and time for them to find a purpose and I think this is a good purpose.  This is my project for today - cutting squares.  It will be a good thing to work on while I do some machine embroidery - think I may have a plan... Now to get busy with it :-)

Katie

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Good plan - and yup - been there, done that. At one job I was the "back-up" for a lady who had to leave one day in the middle of one her projects - so I was expected to finish it for her. She wanted me to thank her for doing as much as she did - so that I wouldn't have to do the whole thing. BOB thought it was super sweet of her to do HER job for me - ;))