Had a lady bring me a quilt she said she’s been working on for most of her married life (50 years!). It was a preprinted cross stitch pattern and had dot lines for the quilting, which I believe 50 years ago was probably meant for hand quilting! Beautiful quilt and I explained to her that I do not do hand quilting and that there was no way I would be able to stay on those printed lines. She said she didn’t care she just wanted it done and the preprinted lines are supposed to wash out. Well, okay then…. Then she has the batting which I believe was probably as old as the quit. High loft polyester that must have gotten hot at one point in time because it actually had a spot where it was melted and as I was unfolding it, it created a hole. Thank goodness it was on the side and I was able to avoid that.
Look close, you can see the ‘dots.
A little close up of how it all came together.
and, of course, the back. If this had been a cotton or an 80/20 blend batting, I think I would have suggest some sort of quilting around the center of the cross stitch motifs. I didn’t really care for the large areas of no quilting.
So on to my own projects… I had bought a ‘baggie’ of scraps at a yard sale and was pleasantly surprised when I opened it up to find a fat quarter pack and scraps from what was probably a fat quarter pack. I took the scraps and cut blades and was able to get 6 Dresden plates that are ready to applique to a 14” square. I’m hoping to be able to take the existing fat quarter pack and make a piano key border from them. I may have to incorporate some fabric from my stash to ‘stretch’ it. I also managed to get three quilts quilted that were ‘in waiting’. Two of them have been waiting for a couple years – yes… years! The other is a baby quilt for my great nephew’s new baby girl due in June. So be looking for pictures in my next post!
On the Quilters for Comfort front – I have backed off a little because of wanting to get some of my own projects into the completed stage. For the first go round of this year I did send 9 quilts. All of the tops were made by others and quilted by me. The second round was pillowcases and I sent out 16 of those:
The pillowcases are really quick to make and a great way to use up those fabrics that you aren’t sure what you were thinking when you bought it…. So anyway, talking to my co-hort she understood that I needed to back off. So this go round I will assemble and quilt only two quilts and then it will be getting ready for Sew Fest. And.. not long after Sew Fest is my sister’s wedding. My sewing for that has been greatly reduced. It started with 2 dresses and 2 shirts, grew to 8 shirts and 4 dresses and is now down to just the bride’s dress and the groom’s shirt. I found a site that sells the shirts and dresses that will co-ordinate – big sigh of relief here!
Hope you all are enjoying spring and are out of the paths of the storms that are starting to move through. Until next time…