Thursday, June 30, 2016

Don't call it cr*p!

It's not a secret that I love thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales, etc...  The old adage "one man's trash is another man's treasure" is so very true.  
I like nothing better than coming across a box, bag, whatever of sewing stuff just thrown in it and buying the entire 'lot'.  Then I get to bring it home and go through the bounty/treasure.  There have been times when once I've gone through it, I have half of it or more being re-donated or trashed.   But I have to say, I've always gotten my money's worth!  I can not think of one time I've said, "well, that was a waste".  I've had friends and family ask, "what are you going to do with all that cr*p?"  But who do they come to for just the right clasp, snap, zipper, button, etc...  ?
Recently I had a project to make for a gift exchange and the monetary limit was set at $20.  The organizer told me I had gone over the limit and I told her no I did not!  The fabric used cost me less than $5 and everything else was constructed from what I had on hand and bought at estate/yard sales at pennies..  I was told that was cheating... WHAT?! Because I'm thrifty, I'm a cheat???  Oh well, call it what you want, someone will get a very nice exchange gift because I had cr*p on hand to make it... Photos forthcoming...

Katie

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I have a lot of cr*p, too - and I totally agree with you - "who do they come to for just the right clasp, snap, zipper, button, etc...?" I especially like the ones who "don't have time" to do anything - or "it's too hard" - and who do they come to to do it for them - someone who took the time to figure out how to do it even if it wasn't easy - gotta love it - LOL - ;))