Tuesday, September 15, 2020

excess fabric and precuts

 Over time I have been gifted fabric that might not necessarily be my tastes, but I've always appreciated when I've been thought of and because I do quite a bit of quilt making for charity, I accept what is offered.   Often times, it is 1 yard or less and many times just pieces.  I decided I had enough small amounts and pieces laying around and figured if I was ever going to use any of it, I should do precuts with it.  I don't like working with small pieces.  For awhile I made fabric postcards and entered a few exchanges, so those smaller bits and pieces came in handy.  Not so much anymore and I will never do a 'crumb' quilt!  I started cutting and did 4½", 6½" and 10½' squares.  Nope I did not do 5" as I can't ever remember doing or wanting to do a quilt that used that size.  If I'm going to have something, I want it to be something I will use.  Purged quite a bit of those pieces but decided to take it further.  I matched up ½ yard to 1 or 1½ yard fabrics that I thought would look good together and cut them into precuts of 10" and 2½" strips for layer cakes and jelly rolls.  There might not be as many different prints as a manufacturer precut, but the fabrics will match together and I will be more inclined to use them now.  I used my 4½" and 6½" squares with scraps of different whites to make up some scrappy quilts.  


this is a picture as I started the layout. Just simple 4 and 9 patch blocks.  It ended up being a queen sized quilt and lots of squares left.  I used quite a bit of the 6½" squares making the 'cup' style face masks...



this is another one made from the 6½" squares.  It's a scrappy starburst and I just used an embroidered square in the center.  This one is still in the 'to be quilted' pile and ended up being king size.  And, yep, I still have some 6½" squares left ;-)



this one used my 10½" squares and was a pattern in the BLOCK magazine from Missouri Star Quilt Co.  Can't think of the name right now ... I also purchase their large Drunkard's Path template set and used it on this quilt.  I enjoy curved piecing so the template set will get used.

So these are my 'Scrappy' precuts.  My coordinated precuts are still sitting in a tote waiting for me to come across that 'perfect' pattern.  And I still have coordinating fabrics set aside to cut up into precuts.  

Wherever you're reading from, I hope you're safe from so much of the disasters happening in the world as well as safe from the Corona Virus.  


Katie





Katie 

No comments: