Saturday, May 19, 2012

Dresden Plate

Scraps – I have ‘a few’…..Most of you know about my love/hate relationship with scraps, but this week I decided I would work with my scraps….

so I did:

IMG_1492

Now I know I had a template somewhere – but where???? Well, instead of pulling stuff out and doing the ‘search’, I found some measurements on line and drew up my template.  I traced it out on plastic template material, cut that template out and drew around it, then used my ruler and rotary cutter (Yes, if I continue to make Dresden Plates,  I will buy the specialty ruler!

Now these aren’t small little plates, I had to appliques these on 22” squares of fabric….  I guess a few more and I’ll have a nice sized quilt.  Here’s a close up:

IMG_1493

And no, I did not hand applique these… I used clear monofilament and a narrow zig zag stitch.  I pinned in place, then used a touch of washable glue stick.  I’m already thinking of how I’d like to quilt them… guess I better make a few more and get a quilt top done first…….

Today was a dear friend’s birthday.  We don’t exchange gifts, but this is a super special birthday for her – this past year she won her battle against colon cancer.  But what to make her???? Well, unfortunately, I did not get pictures and I’m sad that I didn’t because I thought her gift was really cute and she loved it.  But I took this fabric:

IMG_1494and I fussy cut this square:

IMG_1495I strip cut the green/purple stripe and used the square in a square technique to set it sideways.  I then made 2 flying geese units that weren’t… I took 2½ X 6½ strip and by using 2½” squares I did not get the points meeting in the center.  Those flying geese units were white with yellow tape measure print fabric for the triangles.  The unit measured 6½ X 10” and was to be a mug rug/snack mat (whatever you want to call them)  I cut the white strip from the print above for the backing, then I used multiple fabrics to bind it.  I called it “breaking the rules” as nothing was as it was supposed to be.  And yes, I did it on purpose… My friend and I had recently discussed how we often times ‘broke the rules’ in quilting (she’s an amazing quilter!) and this little mat was indicative of that conversation.  And of course, her mat was wrapped in a fat quarter, pinned with curved basting pins and tied with a piece of ribbon…..We enjoyed a nice lunch made by her DH and just a great afternoon.  I am so thankful that she has persevered against the cancer and gets stronger everyday.  She’s an amazing lady and I’m proud to call her my friend.  Happy Birthday, Willie…

Katie

No comments: